It is a truth universally acknowledged that no one can stop me from screaming about a book that ended my life even if all the humans in the world went deaf with all the unpleasant sound I’m producing from my miniscule voice box.
THAT’S HOW THIS POST CAME TO BE, FOLKS. Xandra @ Starry Sky Books nominated me to do this original book tag featuring my latest obsession and who am I to resist? I am so weak for Holly Black’s The Folk of the Air series that I think about it at random moments everyday and hurt my feelings all over again. (I AM LOOKING AT YOU, CARDAN)
PSA: This tag contains minor spoilers for The Cruel Prince but I think it’s safe to read this post even if you haven’t read it yet. Of course, you can always read TCP first because I need more bookdragons who will scream about this series with me. We can all rule the world, you see.
1. You must tag the original creator (Xandra @ Starry Sky Books)
2. Spoilers galore! You should probably read The Cruel Prince first! (You don’t really need to read The Wicked King, but that would be nice.)
3. Answer all the questions.
4. Try to tag at least 3 other bloggers.
THE FOLK OF THE AIR BOOK TAG
Jude: A character who would probably kill you in your sleep
Oh there are A LOT of characters who scream for blood as often as I do but my TBR pile will probably flatten me before they get a chance to spill mine. Nonetheless, here’s a list of my most stabby children who would probably (I wish they won’t) kill me in my sleep:
• Alex Fierro from the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan — I don’t mention Alex enough on my posts and I want to kick myself a hundred times for that. Alex is a gender-fluid demigod who uses a garrote as a weapon, which I must admit is an underrated weapon in bookish history (and a typical one to use in killing someone in their sleep). This stabby child of Loki can thoroughly end anyone in a blink, and that’s assuming you survive Alex’s snark first.
• Lila Bard from the Shades of Magic series by V. E. Schwab — You shouldn’t, in any circumstances, piss off Lila Bard. If you make this mistake, run all the way to the farthest corner of Gray London AND NEVER LOOK BACK. I haven’t pissed off Lila yet but if I do, I wouldn’t even be surprised to find a knife poised at my neck while I sleep.
• Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series — I don’t believe anyone would want me to be assassinated but Celaena would really do a good job of it if she gets the chance.
Cardan: A character who seems like a Bad Guy™ but is ultimately more complex than you thought
Definitely Eli Ever from V. E. Schwab’s Villains series. On my Vicious book review, I described Eli as “someone I want to throttle and push off towards the void” but when I read Vengeful, I felt sympathy for him which was such an alien feeling that I wanted to bang my head on the nearest table just to make sense of it. Schwab writes all the interesting characters you can’t help but love, hate, or grudgingly admire.
Locke: A character (or plot twist) that made you want to throw the book
I love Clockwork Angel but there was a scene in the book that really really made me want to reach into the pages and scream at the characters. I almost threw my phone when I read it but I realized that it’s less costly to scream silently with my bleeding heart than destroy a technological device which basically serves as my third arm (or my soul if you want me to be more realistic).
Taryn: A character who deceived you
Luke Castellan from Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I won’t say anything more (no spoilers on my lawn I promise) but homeboy really broke my heart to a million pieces.
Vivi: A book that was significantly different from the others in its series
I must say Prisoner of Azkaban is a perfect answer to this because it is the turning point of all the Harry Potter books. I bet none of us knew it was going to be so intense until the last few chapters sent all of us into perpetual jaw drops and made all of our hearts jump out of our chests. It’s one reading experience I won’t ever forget even when my bones disintegrate into dust.
Valerian: A character who just needs to die (or, you know, get stabbed)
I’m staring at the God King from Girls of Paper and Fire until his body spontaneously combusts. He pollutes the very air we breathe in and I won’t tolerate him for one second longer. I will stab this rapist and oppressor if I get the chance and will feed his entrails to the sharks (obviously I have quite a lot of anger for him).
Oak: A smol™ character you would protect at all costs
I WOULD PROTECT NIKOLAI LANTSOV WITH EVERYTHING I HAVE THAT’S FOR SURE. Every day without King of Scars on my hands is a day full of pain and sorrow (reading KoS will probably give me pain and sorrow too but I’ll deal with it later). My king deserves all the good things in the world so I’ll fight with my teeth bared and my sharpened nails poised to make that possible. I can’t help it if my dragon-ness shows itself when Nikolai is concerned.
The Cruel Prince: A book that surprised you with a twist
Descendant of the Crane left my heart open and threw my carcass off a cliff with all the twists it gave me. It’s dubbed as the Chinese Game of Thrones and is worthy of that title with the A+ court intrigue it possesses. PRE-ORDER IT NOW IF YOU CAN. There are awesome swags you can avail too! You surely won’t regret buying this book.
The Wicked King: A book you thought was better (or worse) than the first in the series
Here are some sequels that I enjoyed a hundred times more than their predecessors (the predecessors are great too though):
The Queen of Nothing: A book you’re excited for, but know nothing about
• Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
• The Tyrant’s Tomb by Rick Riordan
• Threads of Power by V. E. Schwab
I know next to nothing about these three books yet I already have money alloted for them. I WILL BUY EVERY BOOK BY UNCLE RICK, LEIGH BARDUGO AND V. E. SCHWAB even if my wallet weeps blood in the process. This is the life of a bookdragon and I won’t trade it for anything else.
I’M NOMINATING Y’ALL TO DO THIS TAG! I certainly enjoyed hyping up books again on this post and I’d love you to do the same too.
I’ll be going now and continue nursing my wounds from The Wicked King and scream soundlessly until I get Queen of Nothing on my hands.
Do you love The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King? Do you auto-buy books of your favorite authors? Tell me your thoughts below!