WELL HULLO BOOKDRAGONS, HULLO 2019! HAPPY NEW YEAR Y’ALL!
I may sound excited but actually I’m a ball of anxiety sprinkled with a bit of excitement. I’m excited that we’re now celebrating the new year which means NEW BOOK RELEASES ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER. Well, I’m still broke but I’m excited all the same. I’m anxious because holiday break is almost over and I AM NOT READY TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL. Not that I have any other choice. Just wish me luck. Hold a few rituals in honor of me and hope that I don’t forget the nomenclature of chemical elements.
I’m here to wrap up my absolutely crazy year IN BOOKS. So far, 2018 has been the greatest year of my life because it marked my peak as a bookdragon and it was the year when I set aside my fears and finally started this blog.
I also read 86 books this year which is a huge achievement for me.
This is the first year that I completed my Goodreads challenge and I succeeded with flying colors! My original goal was to read 50 books and I raised it to 75 which I successfully accomplished.
The majority of the books I read were written by female authors and my year was almost wholly consumed by fantasy. I’M A HUGE TRASH FOR FANTASY SORRY. Most of the fantasy books I’ve read were of the high fantasy subgenre. I have something for bloody epic wars (preferably with a high body count).
*pie charts inspired by Cait @ PaperFury*
Now, I’m gonna get down to listing my best picks and a few disappointing reads. It took me about 3 centuries to pick these books because I’m as indecisive as a sack of rice (let’s just pretend that actually makes sense).
MY BEST BOOKS OF 2018
I separated my best picks into 5 categories—best books from the backlist, best 2018 releases, best ARC read in 2018, best audiobooks, and best tearjerkers. Let’s start the fun, shall we?
BEST FROM THE BACKLIST
Click the book covers and let Goodreads be your friend. Click the book titles to read my book reviews.
2018 has been a year for backlist titles. When I got into the bookish community, I felt like I was plunged into Mars because I didn’t know the bookish lingo, the famous book acronyms (it was hellish trying to figure out what ADSOM or SoC meant), and all the book references. In 2018, I tried to catch up to all the hyped titles and here are the best of them:
1. All the Grisha books — I’m obssessed with the world Leigh Bardugo has created. I won’t even mind if she writes a million more books in the Grishaverse. TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW, QUEEN BARDUGO.
2. All the Schwab books — Huge Schwab trash here! She’s a genius in every sense of the word and all her books just have “I AM BRILLIANT” plastered on their foreheads.
3. Daughter of Smoke and Bone — I love this trilogy but the first book in particular is absolute perfection. Laini Taylor is the queen of chapter endings and I can’t wait to read more of her books next year.
4. Queen of Shadows — Hello I also binge read the whole Throne of Glass series in more or less a month and QoS is my absolute fave of them all. This book had a hundred plot twists that simultaneously killed and brought me back to life.
5. The Raven Boys — The Raven Cycle is another hyped series that I decided to read. I love the uniqueness of this series and the chemistry of the characters is A+++. I would read a whole book with only the banter of Blue and the boys in it. I love them so much.
6. The Hate U Give — I had to read this because the hype surrounding it was too thick. I WASN’T DISAPPOINTED. This is a life-changing book that impacted me so much.
7. The Afterlife of Holly Chase — This is my last read of the year and I CRIED FOR FIVR MINUTES after I finished reading it because I couldn’t contain all the feelings. Its beauty literally made me burst into tears. I’m speaking of pure truth here y’all.
BEST 2018 RELEASES
If you’ve been following me a lot, you won’t be surprised of these choices. I can never shut up about these books even if you sewed up my lips. To know more about my thoughts on these books, just click their titles to read my reviews.
Aru Shah and the End of Time
THESE BOOKS DESERVE ALL THE LOVE IN THE NINE WORLDS. I’m glad I finally found my purpose in this community and that is supporting books by Asian authors. My 2019 TBR is already full of them and I can’t wait to finally get my hands on them.
BEST ARC READ IN 2018
NOT EVEN MY POTTED PLANTS ARE SURPRISED. I enjoyed this book from the first page and was thoroughly destroyed by the last. It has a full cast of diverse characters and has A+ banter. The Gilded Wolves will be released on January 15 but you’ll be granted 5 years of clear skin if you pre-order it now. Details here!
I also rediscovered my love for audiobooks this year and I’M 500% hooked. Actually, Sadie was influential in rekindling my interest in audiobooks because its production is excellent. If you want to try audiobooks but you don’t know where to start, I highly recommend Sadie as your starting point.
BOOKS THAT MADE ME CRY THE MOST
Of course the books that make me cry are oftentimes the best books. Trust me when I say that the greatest authors are experts at drinking readers’ tears. Next year, please send me a hundred buckets to store my tears in. They’re convenient because I don’t want to flood our house with eye water.
It’s great that I don’t have a lot of disappointing reads this year. Or maybe that’s because I avoid giving out negative reviews if I can help it. I had a few DNFs but it’s better if we don’t talk of them here. Anyway, it’s sad that two of these (Girl King and Circle of Shadows) are ARCs and two of my most anticipated reads of 2019 no less. It was as if I was promised dragons but I got lizards instead. All of my salty remarks are in my reviews so check them out if you want to.
It has been more or less seven months since my first post and all the support you’ve given me ever since that day has been UNREAL.
My total page views finally reached 10k with 700 wordpress followers! Also, I hit 2.4k page views in December!!! *shrieks into the void for three hours* Y’all did this. Your support makes me happy every single second. I know these are just numbers and I shouldn’t be bothered by them that much but they symbolize your support. These numbers mean that there are people who read and appreciate all my hard work. Even simple remarks like, “this post made me laugh” and “your book recommendations make my bank account suffer” can supply three weeks of electricity to three towns with my huge smile and overflowing happiness.
HERE ARE MY TOP POSTS FOR 2018:
I will surely give you more quality content this year. Y’all deserve it. I hope you will still support me in 2019 in spite all my talks of blood and murder. HAVE A GLORIOUS NEW YEAR!!!
How did your 2018 go? If you could describe 2018 in one word, what would it be? Tell me your thoughts below!